Pages

My photo
San Francisco, North Bay Area, California, United States
Ed Jacobson a.k.a “Chef Ed” is an up and coming wine country chef from the San Francisco North Bay area. Best known for his creative twists and fresh ideas on long time favorites, Chef Ed’s passion is for pleasing the palates of young and old. Ed is currently the Executive Chef for America’s Chefs developing their signature recipes. In October, 2010 Chef Ed travelled to Guantanamo Bay Cuba with America’s Chefs to prepare his world famous chili for the men and women serving us in the armed forces.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Salsa Brava Sweet Chile Jelly

Everyone Loves Great Mexican Food

But not everyone can make great mexican food.

John Conley of Salsa Brava in Flagstaff Arizona is one of those great mexican food making kind.
He has been turning out amazing food from his place for over 20 years.
It is also considered by many the best in Flagstaff.

His place and awesome mexican food gained the attention of producers of the Food Network show Diners, Drive Ins, & Dives with host Guy Fieri.

Salsa Brava also has a four-page spread in Guy Fieri’s cookbook, More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
In his introduction, Fieri writes, “You've got to love a road trip, and there’s nothing better than a Route 66 tour.
In Flagstaff, Arizona, you’ve got to stop at Salsa Brava"

The Salsa Brava DDD episode is just a click to the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t6JR9F62f0




Last year John popped up on my radar through some mutual friends who also have been featured on this great series.
He is a great person to have as a friend when you need advice on some authentic mexican recipes. 
I was lucky enough to get permission to share one of his recipes with everyone.
I was also lucky to stumble upon this gem when I was looking around for a great spicy jelly recipe. 




Check Out Salsa Brava.com  for more info
 Order a copy of Salsa Brava Cocina cookbook at the webstore too!
Thanks again John, and thank you for your continued support of America's Chefs.

Quest For Fire In Jelly Form

I have become very fond of this local Farmer Markets Hot Habanero Jelly and was getting tired of paying the high prices for such a small portion. I eat this stuff like jelly, not hot sauce. Well I drink hot sauce so that is the only difference. This recipe can be made hotter, but unless you are ready to hurt yourself with hot peppers I would suggest following the recipe with only half the pepper.






I have some special ways of enjoying this stuff besides out of the jar when I need a sweet spicy fix.
Somehow bent on destruction I have kept making this jelly but slowly up the habanero and remove other peppers slowly to enhance the heat and flavor of the little orange devil.  So far up to 3 peppers and still not giving me the kick I am looking for so next round I am gonna go crazy with 6.






I did not have gloves the last time I made this but I used the little bags for produce to protect my hands, it was a little clumsy but it did the job and I did not miss the burning of my face and everyplace else I may touch. Funny how our hands can handle a lot more than lets say our forehead.
Same with our mouth and stomach things that would burn a whole in steel are contained within our body.  I have some deep rooted connection to hot pepper, not sure why or how it started but I have grown close.  It reminds me of this little Laotian man telling me about this hot sauce they made for soup " It is so hot, it will make you see the stars during the day time."  This is the kind of hot that makes you sweat, makes your heart pulse,and even a strobe like flashing can occur in the eyes. Oh and it burns your mouth like a hot iron on your tounge.






Creative Twist

                                       Sweet Chile Jelly served on a Toasted  Buttered  Bagel
Slices of Avocado, Navel Orange, Meyer Lemon, Jalapeno, & Green Onions garnished with Cilantro and a few drops of hot sauce.





No comments:

Post a Comment